Alexandra Park was created in response to the Lancashire Cotton Famine of 1861–1865 as an attempt to keep local textile workers employed.
By 1863 a committee had been formed and with a loan from central government, land at Swine Clough was purchased from Reverend John Cocker of Shaw and Crompton whom made it a condition that local unemployed cotton workers were employed to construct the park which opened in 1865. The park was named to commemorate the marriage of Albert, Prince of Wales to Alexandra of Denmark.
Alexandra Park is a Grade Two site of national importance on the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England.
The park has been refurbished with financial help from the Heritage Lottery Fund and it was reopened in 2004.
We visited Alexandra Park in November 2018.