Roundhay Park was put up for sale in 1871. It was purchased by a group including the Mayor of Leeds, John Barran. Leeds City Council was unable to buy such a large tract of land without an Act of Parliament. The local authority agreed to pay the same price and gave Roundhay Park to the people as a public park. Prince Arthur officially re-opened the park in 1872.
Roundhay Park has a beautiful parkland, lakes, woodlands, gardens and the Tropical World.
We visited Roundhay Park in June 2016.